Hire a Licensed Professional - It's the State law!

Hire a Licensed Professional – It is the State Law

Anyone working in the state of Iowa in the plumbing and mechanical systems trades, or contracting for services in these trades, is required to be licensed by the Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board. The state has licensing categories for contractor, master, journeyperson and apprentice.

There are certain exemptions to the state licensure requirements that are listed in Iowa Code section 105.11. A home owner is allowed to perform plumbing or mechanical work on their principal residence without having to obtain a plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration or hydronic license provided that if the residence qualifies for the homestead tax exemption, is an existing dwelling rather than new construction and is not larger than a single-family dwelling, or farm property, excluding commercial or industrial installations or installations in public use buildings or facilities.

For additional licensing details or to obtain a state license, visit the Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems website at: http://idph.iowa.gov/pmsb

You can also do an online search to verify that the individual that you are hiring is a licensed plumbing or mechanical professional. Visit: https://dphregprograms.iowa.gov/PublicPortal/Iowa/IDPH/publicSearch/publicSearch.jsp#

Web Logo blue

6919 Vista Drive
West Des Moines, IA 50266

  • Fax: 515-282-9117
  • Phone: 515-282-8192
© Copyright 2022 . All Rights Reserved